In the late 1940s, twin brothers Roy and Ray Avey built The Corral Theatre in downtown Wimberley. A stockade built of cedar saplings, it was located where The Lumberyard now stands, and served not only as a theatre, but as a meeting place for the community. Along with their wives, Bee and Ruth, the brothers ran a San Marcos shop during the day, and The Corral at night.
To have more time, the brothers sold the theater to Carol “Mama” Knolk, who ran Rocky River Ranch, a summer camp for girls. Knolk, who has since died, moved the theatre to its current location on the ranch in 1966. The cedar saplings were replaced with sawn cedar fencing; but the same 1926 carbon arc projectors continued to roll film in the original projection booth to the same enthusiastic crowds.
The same year, Mary Anderson moved to Wimberley to become a director at Rocky River Ranch. She quickly fell in love with both the camp and the community. In 1971 she purchased both the camp and The Corral. A few changes have been made since; but the same gentle breeze off the Blanco River and the legendary starry Wimberley sky makes time travelers of those who spend a night at the Corral.
We invite you to become a part of more than 60 years of Wimberley tradition!